Saturday, April 9, 2011

Vermicomposting in a Bucket


This is my third worm bin. When a friend gave me some red worms in a paper bag at the end of the summer, I hastily drilled some holes in a bucket I got from the farm I was working at, shredded some newspaper, dampened it, added the worms and some veggie scraps and suddenly had a new vermicomposter.

I made it for free, and this was ideal. The worms are breaking their bedding and food scraps down and it is filling up with beautiful worm compost I'll add to my garden.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hello there fellow vermicomposter. Like you, I also have a bucket worm bin. Recently, I've been thinking that I'll use that bin for planting potatoes and then I'll just seed another bin with some of the worms from the first bin.

Bon Scott said...

growing potatoes in a bucket is a great idea. I think I'll try it! I've been wanting to but hadn't figured out how to do it just yet. Thanks!