Sunday, August 10, 2008

Ladybug Life Stages

Below is a short documentation of the lady bugs that came and lived on my balcony.

Lady bug larvae were the first evidence we noticed of this bug's presence:
July 16, 2008

July 18, 2008

After checking under leaves of the plants on my balcony garden for ladybugs in various stages of life to document, I was rewarded with these two found on the Gerbera daisy. As we pulled back the leaf to take a shot, this orange encased pupa flailed and pulsated around.

The second one was just emerging from the pupa state you see the bug above in. I have included times of the shots taken to give you an idea of the pace at which this lady bug emerged and changed colour from yellow to the bright red we know them for.
July 31, 2008 11:17 am
July 31, 2008 11:18 am

July 31, 2008 2:40 pm
August 1, 2008 5:51 pm - last sighting.

I haven't seen many lady bugs lately but I've enjoyed their presence in this urban garden.

No comments: